Most of the time when we start playing a game, the principal of "clockwise" takes place. well, I guess once again I will not obey the rules, so , do not seek any logical sequence in the following lines. Simply try to imagine and see beyond the lines...that is all that matters.
People. They are such an amazing creatures. all of them - the smart ones, the cool ones, the loosers , the winners, the intellegents, and the handicapped ones...all have their own worlds that are interesting to discover. it has been 1.5 months since I have been working with mentally and phisically handicapped people here in Klosterneuburg (Austria). sometimes it is hard and frustrating, but most of the time I am reminded of what abilities do I have and what disabilities I am carring in me. these handicapped people here have their stories, that most of the time are shocking and sad. but one thing I know for sure - at least here they are loved and are given the feeling of home. and also, everyday I am reminded that in this place, for these people I am Erika - and all that matters is care, honesty, sincerety, and being real...they do not use clever metaphors or sarcastic jokes, thus they are simple. like kids...kids require lots of attention but also they are able to give you a lot in return. I just have to accept it. And my co-workers - they amazeme me everyday as well. The more I communicate with them the more surprised I am. Dagmar - a painter, amazing cook who has 2 almost blind daugthers that are such talented and great kids! Gertrud - a woman of art, an artist and a great person to talk to, it also suprise me how similar our lives were in the past...Anna - one more person that is gifted with ability to create, not only peace of art, but also peace in people. Rachel - devoted and caring, a writer that loves kids. Viki - we both share passion for coffe and chocolate, as well as love for Gotfried (one of the people we take care of). Pawel - an awesome Polish guy, devoted to his family, in love with Yamaha, and the best person to tell jokes both in Russian and German!And Kryzstof - the big boss and my mentor. A positive person who is very busy but always helpful. Have to mention, that I continue communicating in more than 2 languages...but my German is getting better and more dominant ;)
Thank God, I do not lack people in my life here. I guess it is a gift of mine to meet people and connect with them. However, the connection that I desire takes time. That kind of relationship needs to be developed and grown daily. and as always, I do invest myself in that development as much as I can. Quite often now I miss my friends back in LT, my family..But I also know that this experience will help me to be a better friend, sister, daugther, and better Erika in general. I know it will, I feel it already...More than ever I feel myself living...Carpe Diam! I feel so alive! This weekend I went to Lower Austria, and first time in my life was biking in mountains during the rain...Let me tell you this - the feeling that I had when fresh raindrops were washing my face while I was biking down the hill..laughing freely in my heart..God, that was amazing!
..and the city, Vienna, I found my hiding place there as well. Volksgarten, a park in the middle of the city, which reminds me a bot of Rose Gardens in Portland, but this garden has character of its own. there I can be an observer or simply relax and sleep on the grass..In Volksgarten I am IN the city and BEYOND it - it all depends on me. when I am in Vienna, I sometimes spend time with present volunteers or those who used to be volunteers before. It is a great oportunity to hang out with people from UK, Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy, Greece, Lebanon, Turkey etc. The diversity of people and langauges in Vienna is a great thing!I am a wanderer of the city...wlak the streets of Vienna, I am getting to know it better and better...and my love to this place is growing within the days..
and all that matters...is the rain that reinforces the greenness of the hills, the conversations with people that stay in your heart till the church bells wake you up in the morning, the narrow streets and paths that lead you to something new and undiscovered, the sillence that speaks more than any words in any langauge, and the experience that is so REAL, so VIBRANT, so FRESH, and so REWARDING if you allow it to penetrate you as the Holy Ghost that is dwelling in your human heart..
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Labai gražus irašas. Inspire'ina. Ir dar taip jaukiai.
Dziaugiuosi uz tave, uz tavo atradimus .)
Go girl, go! ,)
labas Erika, tingejos skaityti angliskai iki pirmo perskaityto sakinio is all that matters... jega, rasai sviesiai ir ikvepianciai. ...matyti gera zmonese, sypsotis sirdy ir megautis lietumi... sekmes toliau ir... viel Glueck beim Deutsch lernen!
Post a Comment